Tuesday 24 September 2013

An introduction to Andrea Oskis

All of the new staff have been asked to introduce themselves to the department, and wider readership, through this blog.

Here is the first:

All of my research is driven by the common aim of investigating how our interpersonal bonds impact our psychological and physical well-being, especially earlier on in the lifespan. My studies span the areas of Health Psychology, Clinical Psychology and Psychophysiology. In the main, my research has examined attachment style in relation to objective, physiological markers of well-being, and most of my work has involved the classic 'stress' hormone cortisol. Given that cortisol can be measured easily and non-invasively in saliva, this has probably contributed to me being known as the 'spit lecturer' in my previous posts. My new and exciting project still involves saliva, but this time the 'bonding' hormone, oxytocin, and examining this in relation to attachment, love and other aspects of interpersonal behaviour. I am carrying out this work with the Psychophysiology and Stress Research Group at the University of Westminster.

Since I love to talk to people about their relationships, I need a research tool that allows me to do this within a scientific setting! I have developed my expertise in interview assessments of attachment style and parenting via my association with the Centre for Abuse and Trauma Studies. I work with this group in an applied capacity as accredited trainer for the Attachment Style Interview. This work has served to be a springboard for me to develop my consultancy services to support those who work in healthcare settings, where these the measurement of attachment style is increasingly forming part of the assessment procedure. 

As well as talking to people and using interesting research tools, I also enjoy drumming up enthusiasm to study Psychology at university. So I am really excited to speak at this year's BPS ‘Psychology 4 Students’ event in London.  

Come and visit me in TG40, call me on extension 3107 or email me on A.Oskis@mdx.ac.uk. 

Andrea Oskis

No comments:

Post a Comment